ESOT Medical Congress App

ESOT 2013 used a SpotMe medical congress app to connect 3,412 transplantation specialists from all over the world.

At ESOT Vienna 2013, creating a level playing field for the 3412 participating transplantation specialists was a key priority.

To achieve this, 47% of participants brought their own tablets. SpotMe provided loaner iPads for the other 53%. The investment paid off: Over four days the participants posted 1246 session comments, made 2284 appointments and exchanged 27,735 messages. They also used the SpotMe mobile event app to document their event journeys, saving 47,133 abstracts, posters and notes to their online briefcases. Thousands of .pdf abstracts and posters replaced the “phone book” distributed to every participant at earlier ESOT congresses, saving 4675 kilograms of paper.

The innovations grew out of a multidisciplinary collaboration between Stefan Schneeberger, who championed the project as a member of the ESOT board; ESOT Executive Officer Annalisa Ponchia; Ruud Janssen of TNOC, who consults with ESOT on the overall vision of the event; Sascha Tretenhahn of AIM Group International, ESOT’s PCO; the SpotMe team and many more.

Interview with ESOT Executive Officer Annalisa Ponchia:

Interview with Ruud Janssen, Founder of TNOC:

One of our favourite voices at ESOT is Carl-Ludwig Fischer-Fröhlich from DSO, telling us how a new research initiative covering several countries was spontaneously organized through the SpotMe mobile event app: 

Carl-Ludwig used an iPad provided by SpotMe. He had never used a tablet before. At the end of the interview he mentions how he will buy his own tablet because of his experience at the congress: “I won’t tell which company.” :)

The 1808 iPads that SpotMe handed out ensured that every participant was equipped with both a compatible device and the SpotMe mobile event app. This was essential to turning the congress into a total participation experience.

Carl-Ludwig’s example also nicely illustrates how providing loaner devices at one event gets you closer to the ideal of 100% of participants bringing their own device at the next event.

Providing loaner iPads and iPod touches is one of SpotMe’s strengths. We own the largest device inventory in the world, and we’ve built the most efficient transport, charge and management cases to reduce shipping and prep costs.

Agencies: TNOC, AIM Group International

“I remember when we started the discussion and dreaming up the possibilities back in 2011 when we were still in the hustle and bustle of the ESOT congress in Glasgow. Many unknowns were to be covered and assumptions to be made. Connecting all participants whilst onsite has been a critical component of the digital ecosystem’s success. It was no small feat to bring this to the level of success it proved to be. Thank you to all the collaborative partners and especially Roger Meier & team SpotMe for making this work as well as it did. Now let’s dream up what this can look like in 2015 and beyond…. it tastes like more… best regards.” —Ruud Janssen, TNOC

Share This